About the Course:
The course is intended for parents and carers of children who have disclosed being sexually abused. The group will include both male and female carers. If you have a problem with someone of the opposite sex being in the group, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Aims of the Course:
- To help you understand the impact abuse on your child, yourselves and your family
- To support you in recognizing the reasons for your child’s behaviours and show you ways to cope
- To allow you to be amongst others in a similar situation, therefore enabling you to see that you are not alone
- Helping you feel supported as a parent
- Helping you and your family move on with your lives
How many people will be in the group?
Within the group there will usually be around 5 or 6 people.
Will I be made to inform the group of what happened to my child?
No, you do not need to disclose anything to the group that you do not wish to share. Any details we do need to know will be discussed with you at assessment. These details will remain confidential between yourself and Fresh Start new beginnings. (Providing there are no Child Protection issues, which we will have discussed with you).
Who will be running the group?
The Carers group will be run by two members of the Fresh Start new beginnings team, usually a female and male.
The Course covers:
- What is Child Sexual Abuse: Facts and Information
- The Grooming Process
- Common Reactions, Behaviours and Symptoms
- Normal Development – Physical/Sexual/ Cognitive
- Impact on yourself, your child and family
- Reactions to the abuse and disclosure
- Learning to trust again
- Letting go, moving on and looking after yourself
How can we make it easier for you to attend?
Prior to the course beginning we can offer you the chance to familiarise yourself with our premises, as well as the staff who will be running the course. We do understand that coming to Fresh Start new beginnings is a difficult thing to do; therefore if there is anything that we can do to help you please do not hesitate to let us know.
Before you attend:
Before attending one of these courses you must be referred by a professional (such as a doctor, health visitor, school, police or social worker). If they require a referral form they can obtain one from the website. If you have any questions please feel free to contact a member of the team on 01473 353355.